Thursday, September 13, 2007

Silence is the Death of Liberty

First they tortured a U.S. citizen and gang member ...
I remained silent;
I wasn't a criminal

Then they tortured a U.S. citizen, whistleblower and navy veteran ...
I remained silent;
I wasn't a whistleblower

Then they locked up an attorney for representing accused criminals ...
I remained silent;
I wasn't a defense attorney

Then they arrested a young father walking with his son simply because he told Dick Cheney that he disagreed with his policies ...
I remained silent;
I've never talked to an important politician

Then they said an entertainer should be killed because she questioned 9/11 ...
I remained silent;
I wasn't an entertainer

Then they arrested people for demanding that Congress hold the President to the Constitution ...
I did not speak out;
I've never protested in Washington

Then they arrested a man for holding a sign ...
I did not speak out;
I've never held that kind of sign

Then they broke a minister's leg because he wanted to speak at a public event ...
I remained silent;
I wasn't a religious leader

Then they shot a student with a taser gun and arrested him for asking a question of a politician at a public event ...
I remained silent;
I wasn't a student

When they came for me,
Everyone was silent;
there was no one left to speak out.

What's this poem saying? That we all have to stand up, speak out and take action NOW while we still can. If we do so, we will win the struggle for liberty. If we do not, freedom will die ... just like it did in Nazi Germany.

Inspired by the poem First They Came by Martin Niemöller, which was written about the Nazis.




13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

George. Great Post. I hope we succeed. People need to learn the lessons from the past. But regardless, I am glad you and I are doing our part to at least try to do what we can do. Keep it up.

10:20 PM  
Blogger mythinfo said...

Great site...nice Mojo response to Ridgeway, too. I am one of those historians...love to talk more. See me at mythinfo.blogspot.com. I've been teaching a course on 9/11 for the past 4 years now.

Thanks!

Mickey S. Huff, adjunct faculty in history, Berkeley City College, Chabot College, Diablo Valley College

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent blog - a news roundup integrated with Martin Neimoller's quote - perfect. I'm adding you to my blogroll.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to see the proof that any of this happened1

7:26 PM  
Blogger Oberststuhlherr said...

Haeresis est maxima, holocaustum non credere
Recognize any names on the list?

7:24 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

@Sarah1 --

Can you not see the links provided?

Open your eyes - this is happening all around us.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nice modernization of the the famous WWII quote.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Encee said...

Excellent post, George. I have been on this planet long enough to know first hand about Hitler's rise to power, and about his defeat. I am seeing history repeating itself with the aid of those who should have learned from past mistakes, but apparently have not. "Those who do not learn from mistakes of the past are sure to repeat them." I see them doing exactly that. Hitler was able to rise to power on hope he would make things better. His changes enabled the rise Nazi Germany.
Encee

1:14 PM  
Blogger Aalaf Alot said...

It sounds like most of it happened in the 1960's minus some modern day references like Cheney.

Replace some of the modern day references with someone similar or something similar to 1960's

Minster = MLK
Students = Student protest.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Very interesting words by Niemmoller..somehow yours are not as eloquent and won't stand the test of time... doubt you ever suffered a day in your life. Go back to school as I'm sure that has been the extent of your torture. You are a whimp .. and as such should stay out of common dialogue.
Wake up or Show up... no one will ever be proud of you or your silly words

2:55 AM  
Blogger obilesk said...

I absolutely agree and appreciate this post/poem. Revolution is coming. Period.

1:25 PM  
Blogger obilesk said...

Wow. Red is a douche. Maybe a troll. Yes, definitely a troll.

5:39 PM  
Blogger ploinkie said...

I agree with this blog!! No one should be afraid to speak up, even if it isn't for your own safety. When do we wake up???

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home